Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jambalaya


I wanted to keep replenishing RT's food supply in the freezer so I made more pancakes (this time with applesauce instead of banana) and Jambalaya this morning. See page 469. It is beautiful (if I do say so) and it tasted pretty darn good. I kicked the crap out of Betty in fat content, too. I'll let you know how it freezes.

1 tube (1/2 package) of turkey smoked sausage, cut up
1 1/2 c uncooked instant brown rice
1 1/2 c chicken broth (natural, organic- not ready for homemade yet)
1/2 t dried thyme
1 t chili powder (Betty is so conservative! I quadrupled what she suggested)
Some red pepper flake or cayenne
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped onion
1 can of diced organic tomatoes, undrained
1 can of cooked chicken (don't judge, it really is pretty OK)

Brown the smoked sausage in a big 10" skillet. No need to drain! Stir in all remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

An idea- add frozen cooked shrimp in the last 4-5 minutes or raw shrimp at the beginning of simmering. Yummy! I will also probably saute the onions and pepper with some garlic and celery with the turkey before I start simmering. It was a little flat-tasting.

Ms. Crocker got 4 servings for 460 cal, 22(!) grams of fat with 8 of them saturated. I got the same for about 300 calories, 6 grams of fat- 1.5 saturated. God bless Oscar Meyer turkey smoked sausage.

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a work of art. I have never had jambalaya, but I would eat the crap out of that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty. I didn't know there was a smoked turkey sausage. I'm going to try it.
    Presh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy and looks YUMMY! I am lovin' your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete