Monday, April 26, 2010

Because Polenta Sucks...

Because polenta, Sunday's experiment, was disgusting and nearly tasteless, I will not give it a full post. Instead, I will just go over some odds and ends.

After being assaulted by the Chicken Police on Facebook, I went to my slow cooker and devised a good, salmonella scare-free poached chicken that I shredded. I just threw some stock, carrots, garlic, onions, seasonings, and chicken breasts in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low. The resulting chicken shredded easily and was moist and delicious. Annie B. also suggested roasting whole, pre-cut chicken parts. I am looking forward to trying that, too. I promise not to buy canned chicken anymore, J.N., and I will be looking for Bell and Evans at Marsh.

Everything is freezing nicely. R.T. has been leaving it in the fridge at work to let it thaw a little until lunch. I've been trying to remember to pull mine out the night before.

I have been halfway paying attention to how much I am saving nutritionally over buying frozen Lean Cuisine-y lunches, but I should be seeing how much I am saving money-wise. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try to make polenta..was it not worth the effort?
    Getting back to the fresh chicken usage...and speaking as the wife of Butcher Bob...chicken breast with bone in are actually the moistest and most flavorful- especailly on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The polenta tasted awful and had a bad texture. I saved some to try "fried" polenta, but I'm not holding out hope.

    ReplyDelete