Thursday, April 22, 2010

Chili- Red, not Green or White

Yesterday, I made my first real red chili for RT's dinner with leftovers for lunch. I ate bologna. Don't judge. That's my 25% and I'll never turn my back on that particular processed meat-like substance. At least I no longer eat braunschweiger. For the record, I also ate a lovely salad with homemade dressing.

I have been making white or green chicken chili for our annual Chili Bowl extravaganza for the last six years and have been lucky enough to win with it for the last two. Red chili is, to say the least, not my thing. I don't like beans unless they are van Camps souped up with Ketchup and brown sugar like my Douglas taught me. However, my baby likes it and I aim to please. Here's what I did with The Betty. See page 466.

1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (with excruciating tears)
3 cloves garlic
5 dashes of hot sauce (we like el Yucateco from the Supermercado)
1 carrot, shredded
1 can organic Kroger diced tomatoes
1 can (14-15 oz) organic tomato sauce
Some pickled jalepenos (where's the tilda?!)
1 T chili powder
2 T cumin (SHIT! Even this was organic!)
Some salt, not much. RT's a bit of a heart case
Lotsa black pepper
Lotsa red pepper flake
1 can organic Kidney beans (barf) rinsed and drained

Cook oil, turkey, garlic, and onion in a big pot until it is not pink anymore. No need to drain because turkey is lean lean lean. Stir in remaining ingredients except beans. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally (I only got to it twice) for one hour. Stir in beans. Heat to boiling again and reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.

We added more hot sauce and fat-free sour cream for serving.

I thought it tasted terrible, but RT liked it... went back for seconds. I'll let you know how the freezing process goes. Thanks, Bets.

PS: Spell check suggested Schwarzenegger for braunschweiger. I don't eat him, either.

2 comments:

  1. I love black beans and have substituted them for kidney I'm my red chili. In case you're a fan of the black bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No black beans, either. Maybe I should just make chili with baked beans.

    ReplyDelete