Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Banana Pecan Pancakes

I have NEVAH made from-scratch pancakes before. I was understandably excited when these were a huge hit with RT, the test-taster and confirmed fruit-hater. The Betty puts it on page 58/59. I made it my own.

Yield 12 adorable little pancakes.

1 large egg (what's a small egg? Like a Robin's egg? Not cooking with that.)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 c skim milk- I added a smidge more milk
1 T packed organic brown sugar
2 T canola oil
3 t baking powder (a BRAND NEW ingredient for me!)
1 pinch sea salt
1 smooshed RIPE banana
1/4 c or so of chopped pecans- pronounced PEE-cans, please.

Beat egg with a hand mixer for a while (The Betty says "until fluffy." What does that mean?) Beat in remaining ingredients.

Heat a non-stick skillet (preferably an EarthPan) over medium heat. Grease if desired. I didn't. Use real butter if you do.

Pour about 1/4 c of batter into the skillet. I got 2 pancakes per round in the skillet. Keep cooking until it is bubbly on top and then flip.

Place on a cooling rack (or whatever). Eventually, I put them in the freezer on the cooling rack in a single layer. Once they were frozen, I packed them in a gallon Ziploc with a label. I heart labels. I even "vacuum" sealed them with a straw (thanks, Annie B.) RT ate three this morning for breakfast after heating them in the microwave and topping with sugar-free syrup. Good serving size of REAL FOOD.

3 comments:

  1. how can Ryan hate fruit? I mean, there are some that I consider deadly (I'm talking to you, strawberries--aka deathberries) but overall, I'm a fan. even with their weird textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I love this blog. I can cook vicariously through you. I thought you made a mean chili though! I am all for you expanding your horizons and I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, too, Chrisanne! You and Ash (Hoosier Chick) re-inspired me!

    ReplyDelete