Monday, May 3, 2010

PIZZA CRUST! and calzones


All caps were a must because I was crowing so loudly about my first bread-making experience. Ever.

Betty has it on 282. Here's what I did.

2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 T sugar (still working through my non-organic)
1 t salt
1 package of quick active dry yeast (new ingredient to me!)
Some garlic powder
Some Italian seasoning
3 T Canola oil
1 c very warm water (120-130... I checked mine with a meat thermometer)

Mix 1 cup of the flour with sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add the oil and the warm water. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes and add more flour until the dough comes together. This was REALLY STRANGE. I had no idea what I was doing and the dough climbed all the way up the beaters in a big glob. Not sure how to combat this.
Knead the dough on a floured surface (my beautiful new countertop!) for 5-8 minutes until smooth and springy- you will be able to tell when this happens. This was surprisingly easy. All those ceramics classes finally paid off!
I put it back in the bowl and covered it loosely with plastic wrap. Over the course of 30 minutes, my little baby grew. RT made fun of it (me), but the joke was on him.

I cut it into 6 equal pieces, rolled it out with a rolling pin (my new toy) and filled most of them with marinara and RT's favorite turkey pepperonis and cheese. The others got cheddar and shaved turkey. I sealed them with a fork, did an egg wash and baked them for about 25 minutes.

My first bite was a little iffy, but I got used to the texture of the whole wheat dough after that. I think I will sub half of the WW flour with white flour next time. No need to be a stickler.

4 comments:

  1. That calzone looks delicious and reminds me of my favorite calzone, the Pizza Hut P'zone...one of my favorite treats the many years I worked at the Hut. I'm sure that yours is much tastier and MUCH healthier!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe healthier, but nothing beats the P'zone. I had forgotten about those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making my own bread. I've got a GREAT Parmesan Herb bread that Chef and I make grilled cheeses out of. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete