Monday, May 31, 2010

Italian Dressing/Pasta Salad


We hung out with Emily and her BF on Sunday evening when they got back from the silly race. Emily provided barbecue and I thought I'd make pasta salad. My usual includes half a bottle of Kroger Fat Free Zesty Italian dressing and pepperoni. I thought I'd change it up with real food.
I had some beautiful zucchini and asparagus from Whole Foods that I roasted (lightly coated with olive oil, salt, and pepper) for 25 minutes in the oven on 350. I used whole wheat pasta.
The Betty has an Italian dressing recipe on page 431. As usual, she was very wimpy with the spices and I am used to ZESTY dressing from Krog, so I bumped up most things.

1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c canola oil
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 T finely chopped shallots
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1+ t dried basil
1 t sugar
1+ t ground mustard
1/2 t salt
1+ t dried oregano
Some pepper
Some red pepper flakes

Shake all ingredients in a tightly covered container. Done.

I thought it smelled a little tart, too vinegar-y, but I went for it anyway. It mellowed in the fridge over night and tasted great on Sunday night. I added a handful of shredded mozzarella right before we headed out.
RT didn't eat any- he really does not enjoy most cold foods. Too bad he missed out. We all went back for seconds. Maybe he'll eat some tonight heated up in the microwave.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also a fan of the zesty Italian. It's just better than regular Italian.

    ReplyDelete