Sunday, October 10, 2010

Barbecue Baked Potatoes


I am obsessed with Shyler's barbecue baked potatoes in Evansville, IN. I have not found a comparable barbecue restaurant in Indy, so I am resigned to making them at home. The baked potato is easy. Microwave them, you silly Oven Bakers. It takes 15 minutes. Don't be dumb.

The chicken comes from my crock pot. I buy beautiful, responsibly farmed chicken breasts from Whole Foods and throw 'em in the c-pot with water, a carrot, a piece of celery, 1/2 an onion, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and water for about 6 hours on low. When I pull them out, I shred them and freeze them- one breast per container.

When it is time for potatoes, I thaw a breast and throw together something like Betty's Zesty BBQ sauce recipe on page 485.

1 shallot- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic- finely chopped
1/2 cup ketchup (organic)
3 T apple cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire
1 T packed brown sugar
1/2 t ground mustard
eta: Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Saute shallots and garlic in a little olive oil. Add all other ingredients (and thawed pulled chicken.) Bring to a simmer over medium and reduce heat. Simmer on low for 10 minutes or so.
Add to baked potatoes with butter and cheese.

Green onions, bacon, or sour cream would also be great on top. No trip to Evansville necessary.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, I love the bbq bake potato. I might have to try the Betty chicken version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must only eat the innards. Skin eaters all know the superior potato is baked, not microwaved.

    I will have to try that sauce recipe, though. I have a fancy one I like that calls for strong coffee and balsamic vinegar, but nothing for everyday barbeque sauce.

    ReplyDelete